- Kaj-Erik Eriksen as Billy Harlan
- Chris Benson as Uncle Al
- Jeffrey Akomah as Jay
- Ken Mundy as Colin
- Benjamin Plener as Roger
- Paul Brogren as Larry
- David Roemmele as Mike
- Sarah Mitchell as Dawn
- Greg Kramer as George
- Gil Garratt as Counselor
- Kerry Duff as Dori
- Alex Hazisavvas as Martha
- Danny Sohal as Kevin Spears
- Alec Bachlow as Mr. Harlan (uncredited)
- Michèle Duquet as Mrs. Harlan (uncredited)
A bus load of campers arrives at Camp Nightmoon . The driver stops the bus, and gets out. He pulls out all of the camper's belongings, and then gets back in the bus and drives away, leaving the children behind. The campers tell him that he just can't leave them there. But the bus is gone. They start panicking, and then hear a muffled roar from behind them.
All of a sudden, a loud, explosive gunshot was fired, and the children see the man with the shotgun. He tells them that his name is Uncle Al, and he is the camp director. They ask him what roared, and he explained that it was a beast named Sabre. He said that if they kept to the trails, it wouldn't bother them. Then, he tells them to follow him to the campgrounds.
Billy, one of the campers, and also the protagonist, talks to a girl named Dawn. She tells him that Camp Nightmoon is supposed to be the best camp. Billy thinks that he'll have a great time being with Dawn, but then a woman named Martha comes along and takes all of the girl campers with her. Uncle Al then takes the boys with him and explains the rules of this camp, especially not to sneak out to a place called the "forbidden bunk".
Billy asks why it's called the forbidden bunk, but Uncle Al simply states that it is forbidden and that he should stay clear. Once he gets to his cabin, Billy finds that he has to share his cabin with four other boys. He gets up on the top bunk and notices a phrase written in red ink, "Sabre is hungry". He asks another camper, and he says that it got 2 kids last summer.
A scream from below wakens Billy from his thoughts, and he finds out that a snake had bitten a boy named Mike. He uses teamwork to remove the snake from the cabin by using a sheet from the bed and throwing it out the window. Then, seconds later, an older man comes in and asks why they threw a good sheet out the window. The others tell him that Billy did it, and they ask him his name. He states him name: Larry, and he tells them to just clean the snake bite and wrap it. They want to go to a nurse, but Larry tells them that there is no nurse.
At night, the group is having a campfire, and Uncle Al notices Billy talking to Mike, who is sitting next to a tree away from the group. Uncle Al tells him that Billy is now the #1 Camper since he was looking out for a friend. The next morning, Billy wakes up to find that Mike is gone. Even his clothes and items aren't in the cabin. He goes to ask Larry at breakfast, but Larry refuses to tell him anything.
Larry announces that they are going to play baseball next, and Billy has a feeling that that guy is bad news. During the games, Larry throws a softball directly at the back of a boy's head, Colin, who is also from Billy's cabin. Uncle Al then announces that they are going to have a tent night to sleep under the stars and "live off the land". In his tent, Billy writes a letter to his parents explaining about what happened during his time so far at camp.
Then, the other two boys, Rodger and Jay, peek into the tent and ask Billy if he wants to go and sneak off to the "forbidden bunk". Billy refuses, since he's looking after Colin, who is in a sleeping bag. They go off by themselves, and a moment later, Jay comes back and tells them that Sabre attacked Rodger and tore him to pieces. They carry Colin to their cabin and wait until morning to tell Uncle Al about it. Just then, the door swings open.
It turned out to be only Larry, and they tell him that Sabre tore up Rodger while they were exploring the forbidden bunk. Larry says that Uncle Al will be furious when he tells them what they did. But, he doesn't believe that anything happened. Billy decides to wait until morning, and that he'll keep watch for Sabre.
Differences from the book
- Uncle Al gives the boys devices that look similar to crossbows instead of rifles.
- Billy is woken up by Dawn instead of Larry.
- Dawn is the only girl to hide in the woods. In the book, she brings Dori with her.
"Welcome to Camp Nightmare" was released on DVD on September 16, 2008, as the third/fourth episode on One Day at HorrorLand. It was included in a 3-Pack Thriller DVD on August 26, 2014.
|Title||Release date||Media type|
One Day at HorrorLand
|September 16, 2008||DVD|
|August 26, 2014||DVD|
- This episode was adapted into Goosebumps Presents book #3.
- When the episode first aired, it was originally intended to have the theme that "The Cuckoo Clock of Doom" and "The Girl Who Cried Monster" had. Instead, it was replaced with the original theme, except when the word "Goosebumps" appeared through the door of the house, the word continued to move.
- Benjamin Plener (Roger) played Jonathan Hall in season three's, "The Haunted House Game".
- David Roemmele (Mike) played Billy Brown in season three's, "Perfect School".
- Kerry Duff, who had an uncredited appearance as a camper, played Margo in season one's "Night of the Living Dummy II".
- The rubber snake that Mike was "bitten" by is seen in two close-up shots as a real Ball Python.