The House of No Return was the first short story in the book, Tales to Give You Goosebumps.
The story centers around 12-year-old best friends Robbie, Lori and Nathan. They are part of a club called "Danger, Inc." of which they are the only members, and pride themselves on being the boldest children they know, who will take any dare they are offered.
They become interested in Chris Wakely, a new boy in town, and encourage him to join them. He is not very brave and does not want to take part in their antics. They dare him to spend an hour in the "House of No Return", a boarded-up old house which none of the local children will enter because it is rumored to be haunted. The story is that a man made this house for his wife and they had a baby girl. But sadly, the baby fell through a weak spot, falling to her death. After that, the childless parents went mad, never leaving their house. One day, the police went inside their house to find both of them dead. Chris reluctantly agrees and they shut him inside. When he does not return, they go to look for him. The door seals shut behind them, so they cannot escape. Then the two ghosts come down the stairs.
The ghosts explain that Chris came to the house some time ago. But they allowed him to go, because he promised that 3 other children would be following him. They also say that now Robbie, Lori, and Nathan will stay in the house forever.
Television Episode Trivia
- Goofs: The moon changes phases during the night that Chris goes into the house. Firstly it is a Full Moon. Then in the next shot, it is a Waxing Crescent.
- This television episode was released on the Scary House DVD along with The Haunted House Game.
- This episode was based on the first story of Tales to Give You Goosebumps.
- When Chris is surprised by the talking cuckoo clock, it is easy to notice that it is the same cuckoo clock from The Cuckoo Clock of Doom.
- When The Ghost of a Man answers to Lori that he was the one who said something, Robbie called out to him "Chris, is that you?". Ironically, the man is called Chris in real life (Chris Britton, not Chris Wakely).