Mitchell Moinian's parents get a new car, and he's excited since he knows all about cars, but one night, he hears a whisper, "Get in" and when he gets in the car, he gets the Manual from the console, but it says, "I'm evil!" He discovers that the car is possessed by a spirit of a girl that died in a car accident, Becka, and now she wants a friend in the afterlife.
The Haunted Car appears in the movie as means of transportation for Slappy. When he released the car, he threw out books like Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes, You're Plant Food!, A Shocker on Shock Street, Invasion of the Body Squeezers: Part 1 and Part 2 and more. He also uses it to rampage through Madison, Delaware.
- The Haunted Car Is a Lincoln Continental Mark lll in the film, not a 1986 Sports Corvette, like in the book.
- The car drives on its own in the film. However, it does not speak.
- In the Spanish version of the film (in the scene where The Haunted Car is released from its book in front of Stine's house), if you listen closely, you'll hear it whispering "embrujado," which means "haunted."
- The Haunted Car is similar to "The Car" a 1977 Thriller/Horror movie. They are both Lincoln Continental Mark III's except The Car was Modified a bit.
- The Haunted Car is Slappy's closest ally in the film, since he used her for transportation throughout the film.