"The Ghost Next Door" is the third and fourth episode of season four of the Goosebumps TV series, and the sixty-ninth and seventieth episode overall. Part one and part two premiered on September 28, 1998 and September 29, 1998 on Fox Kids Network respectively.
- Nicole Dicker as Hannah Fairchild
- Cody Jones as Danny Anderson
- Neil Crone as Mr. Chesney
- J. Adam Brown as Alan
- Dov Tiefenbach as Fred
- Diego Matamoros as Shadow Figure (voice)
- Alex Fallis as Shadow Figure
- Amanda Hancox as Mrs. Anderson
- Judy White as Hannah's Mom (credit only)
- Salvatore Antonio as Pizza Delivery Boy (as Salvatore Milliore)
- Nicole Underhay as Cyclist
- Masato Chikusa as Pizza Eater (uncredited)
Hannah Fairchild wakes up one morning to see her room engulfed in flames and smoke, but she quickly realizes this is only a nightmare. Outside her window, Hannah sees a shadowy figure watching her. Hannah begins to go about her daily routine alone, as her parents are seemingly away.
Hannah writes letters to her friend, Janey at summer camp, and explains the boring summer she has been having. Hannah attempts to deliver the letter, but the postman, Mr. Chesney seemingly ignores her shouting. On the drive, Mr. Chesney almost hits a boy going across the street on his bicycle. This boy is Danny Anderson, a new kid in town who informs Hannah he just moved here. Hannah thinks this is strange, as the house his family has moved into still looks empty.
Danny begins to act strange, doing such things as seemingly vanishing into thin air. Upon peeking into his home, Hannah sees it is covered in candles, and the stove looks as if it hasn't been used in years. This causes Hannah to believe he could be a ghost haunting the house. Hannah investigates Danny further, running again into the shadowy figure she saw outside her window. She later discovers a newspaper clipping detailing a fire in the neighborhood that left no survivors. Hannah believes it could have been Danny's family that died in the fire, and goes to his house. She tries to talk to his mother, but she ignores Hannah, causing her to think his mother might be a ghost as well. Danny arrives at her house and informs her his mother is deaf. Hannah accuses Danny of being a ghost. The two argue, and Danny points out she can't possibly live where she claims, as it is nearly destroyed. Hannah passes straight through Danny.
Hannah realizes that she is the ghost, and that her family was the one that died in the fire. The discovery terrifies Danny, who runs away. Hannah is confronted by the shadow figure, who tells her he is here to help her become a ghost, and offers her lessons in haunting. He informs her that nobody can see her, or talk to her. Hannah informs him this is untrue, as Danny can see her. Her comment angers the ghost who tells her to stay away from Danny. Later, with the help of the spirit, Hannah scares Mr. Chesney by messing with his mail.
Hannah storms off, saying she doesn't need help being a ghost, that she has to have another purpose than simply haunting people. She then asks about Danny. The shadow tells her only Danny can see her because he is about to die. Hannah tries to talk to Danny once more, who has begun hanging out with a pair of troublemaking friends, but he wants nothing to do with her. During their talk, a beam nearly falls on Danny, but he is saved by Hannah. Hannah confronts the shadow figure, calling him a liar. He tells her that when Danny dies, he will take his form, and wants to speed up the process.
Hannah realizes that she came back as a ghost to save Danny's life. Later that night, Danny and his friends break into the home of Mr. Chesney, and a fire is started. Danny's friends make it out, but Danny is trapped inside. Hannah enters the house to rescue Danny, and with the aid of Mr. Chesney, Danny is saved.
Danny calls out for Hannah, saying he cannot see her anymore. Hannah's family appears before her, with her mother telling her she has done a great job. With Danny saved, the shadow figure is destroyed. Hannah then goes into the afterlife with her family, completely disappearing. Danny looks out into the night sky, and thanks Hannah for saving his life.
Differences from the book
- In the episode, Hannah sees the Shadow Figure immediately after having her nightmare. In the book, she doesn't encounter the figure until much later.
- Because Hannah sees the Shadow Figure at night, she tries to call 911. When Hannah is unable to communicate with the 911 operator, she goes outside and meets Danny Anderson for the first time. In the book, Hannah does not call 911 and meets Danny the next day.
- Hannah is said to wear day-glo clothing in the book, but in the television adaptation, she does not wear brightly colored clothing.
- In the episode, Danny's first encounter with Mr. Chesney occurs when he is almost hit by Mr. Chesney's mail truck. In the book, their first interaction occurs after Mr. Chesney attacks Danny's friend's dog.
- In the book, Mr. Chesney was a postmaster. However, in the episode, he is seen delivering mail. The job of a postmaster does not involve delivery, which means that Mr. Chesney is not a postmaster in the episode.
- In the book, Hannah goes through Danny's hand and Danny's arm passes through Hannah. In the episode, Hannah walks through Danny.
- Hannah was haunting the mailman in the episode, but in the book, it wasn't.
- Hannah talks to Danny about his mother being deaf, but it wasn't in the book.
- In the episode, she plays around the mail while haunting the postmaster, in the book, she did nothing.
"The Ghost Next Door" was released on DVD on September 6, 2005. It was included in a 3-Pack Thriller DVD on August 26, 2014.
|Title||Release date||Media type|
The Ghost Next Door
|September 6, 2005||DVD|
|August 26, 2014||DVD|
- Throughout the episode, brief clips of piano music can be heard. The piece is Trio in E flat by Franz Schubert.
- The song that Hannah plays to save Danny is Schubert's Trio in E Flat Op. 100. It was also used in the movies, "Barry Lyndon" and "The Hunger."
- In the first scene, in the shot of The Music Academy award, Hannah Fairchild's first name is misspelled as Hanna.
- Goof: In the montage of important scenes from part one on the second part episode, when Danny Anderson falls into the bunch of garbage cans, the mask on the stuntman's face becomes undone and reveals him.
- Dov Tiefenbach (Fred) played Tim in season two's, "Bad Hare Day"
- Cody Jones (Danny) played Carly Beth's little brother Noah in season one's "The Haunted Mask" and season two's "The Haunted Mask II".
- Diego Matamoros, who voiced the shadow figure, played Morgred in season one's "A Night in Terror Tower".
- The street Danny and Hannah lived on-Cordina Way-was named after the show's producer, Lena Cordina.