How to Kill a Monster was adapted into an episode of the Goosebumps TV series. The episode aired on Fox Network on February 1, 1997 as the eighteenth episode of Season 2. It was directed by Ron Oliver.
- Courtney Hawkrigg as Gretchen
- Ricky Mabe as Clark
- Helen Hughes as Grandma Rose
- Peter Boretski as Grandpa Eddie
- Tim Rykert as Swamp Monster
Gretchen and her new stepbrother, Clark, are staying at their weird grandparents' house while their parents are on their honeymoon. They live right in the middle of a dark, muddy swamp. And things just keep getting spookier as there's something really weird about Grandma and Grandpa's house. Something about that room upstairs. The one that's locked and has those strange noises coming from it.
Differences from the Book
- The Swamp Monster (performed by Tim Rykert) had a different appearance than it's description in the book.
- In the television episode, their dog, Charley does not appear.
- In the television episode, Gretchen and Clark put the ingredients into a gumbo, not a pie. They also grab more ingredients from the cupboards.
- In the television episode, Gretchen deduces that the monster is allergic to humans when Clark thrusts his arm into the monster's mouth, which causes the monster to explode. In the book, the monster spits out Clark's arm, and it growls that it's allergic to humans before dying.
Television Episode Trivia
- This is the third of four television episodes on the Monster Blood DVD.