"How I Got My Shrunken Head" is the first and second episode of season four of the Goosebumps TV series, and the sixty-seventh and sixty-eighth episode overall. Part one and part two premiered on September 14, 1998 and September 21, 1998 on Fox Kids Network respectively.
- Daniel Clark as Mark Rowe
- Barbara Radecki as Alice Rowe
- Paul Eves as Ed
- Dixie Seatle as Aunt Benna
- Fred Lee as Chicken Man
- George Chiang as Jimmy Lo
- Beki Lantos (a.k.a. Rebecca Henderson) as Kareen Hawlings
- Laura Press as Dr. Carolyn Hawlings
- Richard Fitzpatrick as Dr. Richard Hawlings
Differences from the book
- In the book, Mark has a sister and several friends. In the TV version, Mark is an only child implied to hardly have any friends because of his video game and jungle obsession.
- Mark's bedroom is jungle-themed; the book does not mention this.
- The entire episode turns out to be a story Mark tells to his mom's boyfriend rather than a story happening in real time.
- The pilot in the TV version is a Filipino man who dresses like Elvis Presley, not a military officer.
- Mark discovers Aunt Benna's video journals in a cabinet full of VHS tapes and a television (not written journals).
- The book does not mention that Aunt Benna's coin necklace is the source of Mark's Jungle Magic. The book version clearly states that the shrunken head and Aunt Benna teaching Mark the word "Kah-lee-Ha" when he was a child is the reason why Mark has Jungle Magic.
- The ending is different. In the book, the two adults and Kareen run into the jungle after getting shrunk by Jungle Magic. On the television episode, Mark keeps them as pets and vows to have the shrink spell removed when Aunt Benna comes back...on Mark's sixteenth birthday.
"How I Got My Shrunken Head" was released on DVD on April 12, 2005. It was included in a double DVD pack with "Night of the Living Dummy II" on September 16, 2008.
|Title||Release date||Media type|
How I Got My Shrunken Head
|April 12, 2005||DVD|
Double DVD pack
|September 16, 2008||DVD|
- The theme for season four is the same as season three's, but Slappy now says "Goosebumps", instead of "Ultimate Goosebumps".
- Rebecca Henderson (Kareen Hawlings) played Margaret in season one's "Stay Out of the Basement" At one point Kareen's father calls her "Princess", which may be a nod to that episode.
- Richard Fitzpatrick (Dr. Richard Hawlings) played Mr. Kramer in season one's "Night of the Living Dummy II"
- Dr. Hawlings is stated to be sent from "Miskatonic University," a reference to the works of American horror author H.P. Lovecraft.