The cover illustration shows a huge rat in clothes, standing in front of a house and ringing the doorbell. On the right is a scared child peeking through window blinds.
Your mother has hired a babysitter named Zoe for you and your six-year-old brother, "Stinko". Zoe has whiskers, claw-like fingernails, and a pointy nose. Zoe provides you with a spinner that offers the choice between fun or games and whatever it lands on determines which of the two main storylines you will follow. The spinner is reused for a couple of choices, and there are a few activities to do in the "Games" section with a tattooed man named Dare.
List of endings
There are twenty bad endings and three good endings.
- Being buried alive by rats.
- Being shredded with a Kid Grater.
- Being burned to a crisp by a dragon.
- Get stuck in a box.
- Getting stuck with Dare for a couple of weeks.
- Whilst in the ball pit, you're sucked up into a tube and coated in plastic (this is done to protect the balls from damage), turning you into one of the balls. You stay in the ball pit forever.
- You are trapped in a coffin-like tomb, smothered under the bodies of dead rats.
- Getting minced in a cheese vat.
- You refuse to help Zoe with the rat problems, so the rats overpower you and use you for experiments.
- Being turned into a frog.
- Being turned into a vampire bat.
- You, Stinko and Dare are all frozen solid in ice. As you start to thaw out, Stinko defrosts first. You call to him to help you, but he refuses (because he's sick of you making fun of him) and runs away, leaving you and Dare still frozen.
- Being turned into a floating head without a body.
- Left hanging in mid-air in the middle of nowhere.
- Falling forever into a bottomless pit.
- Sunk in quicksand after rolling an odd number.
- Get stuck forever in a giant maze.
- Fall into a bottomless pit after taking the bridge route back.
- Getting eaten by the Beast from the East after answering a Goosebumps question incorrectly.
- You lose all your points and Dare gets all his tattoos back. However, you get to redo the games all over again.
- Getting home via the use of a DiskGoTech, a game console controller. When you get there, it's two days later, so your mother is home and Zoe's gone.
- You use the cassette player you won from the caves to scare the rats and cause the building to collapse. However, you, Stinko and a bunch of other kids manage to escape.
- You manage to destroy Dare's chest tattoo and end up killing him.
- The tagline is a reference to the 1987 film Adventures in Babysitting.
- The Beast from the East is mentioned in the novel, and a Beast appears in the story.
- In this book, Zoe resembles either a mouse or a rat.
- During Dare's "Games" section the reader can take part in various activities; a follow the ropes game, tossing a coin towards the edge of a table without it falling off (it's a bad ending if it does), melting ice to choose which page to turn to, and various inclusions of The Spinner.
- The choice between adventures A and B are not chosen manually like previous books, but are chosen randomly via use of The Spinner located at the back of the book. This is the only time this has been done in Give Yourself Goosebumps.
- The Spinner shows up for more choices during the "Games" section (Adventure B), with the appropriate choices labeled. Oddly, one of the choices is "Yes/No" which never shows up in the book, suggesting at least one choice being deleted from the book.