Amanda Benson and her family moved to a creepy old town called Dark Falls, much to her and her younger brother Josh's dismay. At the beginning of Welcome to Dead House she had already begun to feel uneasy about the small town, and of course her new house. As she explored the house, she becomes startled as she notices Mr. Dawes, the Dark Falls realtor, "resting" in a dark corner of her new bedroom. As soon as the family dog Petey sees Mr. Dawes, he begins to bark uncontrollably.
Amanda is twelve years old, Caucasian, tall and thin with curly brown hair, dark brown eyes and a serious face.
Amanda is very mature, patient and sensible for her age. She usually tries to get her younger brother Josh to cooperate when he is being his stubborn self. She is often reminding Josh that together they have to give the house and neighbourhood a chance, though she is hesitant herself. There have been moments when Amanda was stubborn herself, but not as stubborn as her younger brother Josh and she would always pay her younger brother back if he played any tricks on her. She can be funny as well and can have a laugh with her family, and there are plenty of moments where she gets along with Josh. Amanda also loves Petey, and she can always tell him to shape up if he is being uptight. She tries to be as strong as possible, and doesn't want to make a scene if nobody listens to her. Amanda has a good relationship with her friend Kathy (book) / Jennifer (TV Adaptation) and she always tries to help her out by slipping her the answers in math, even it is the wrong answers. She gets excited when she find something she's interested in and is always willing to try it out. Overall she is very kind and thoughtful, and loves her family no matter what.
List of appearances
Television and Film
- Amanda is the first character of many things:
- She had the honor of being the first female character introduced in the series.
- She is the first female protagonist in the beginning of the Goosebumps series.
- She is the first female protagonist to narrate her own story. In fact, she is the first protagonist in general to do so.
- She is the first female protagonist to have a sibling and a pet.
- She was the one to figure out that the one thing to stop the citizens of Dark Falls was sunlight (in the TV adaptation) and light (in the book).
- In the book, Amanda had curly brown hair, but in the television series, her hair was straight and styled as a bob.